Welcome Class of 2034!!
How old must my child be to enter Kindergarten?
To enroll in Kindergarten, a child must be 5 years of age by September 1 of the enrollment year.
According to Michigan law, if a child residing in the Gaylord Community School District is not five years of age on September 1, but will be five years of age no later than December 1, the parent or legal guardian of that child may enroll the child in kindergarten by completing a Kindergarten Waiver Form.
A school district that receives a Kindergarten Waiver Form may make a recommendation to the parent or legal guardian as to whether the child is ready or not to enroll in kindergarten due to the child’s age or other factors. Regardless of the district recommendation, the parent or legal guardian retains the sole discretion to determine whether or not to enroll the child in kindergarten if the student is five years of age no later than December 1.
What documents do we need to provide for registration?
Along with completing all forms via Enrollment Express, the following documents
will be required when registering your child for Kindergarten.
- Original Birth Certificate
- Updated Immunization Record or Immunization Waiver (CDC Immunization Recommendation)
- Proof of Residency (Driver's License, Lease/Rental Agreement, Utility Bill, etc.)
- Evidence of screening for vision and hearing.
- Call the Health Department at 1-800-432-4121 or your child's physician for more information.
All of the above documents can be uploaded when enrolling your student via Enrollment Express.
What elementary building will my child attend?
Your child's school assignment will be based on the following criteria:
- Same elementary school building as sibling(s)
- Residence zone
- Enrollment numbers